VILLAGE OF SWAY
Sway is on the very edge of the New Forest, about 4 miles from the coast at Lymington. Sway was not a proper village, it was part of the parish of Boldre 3 miles away, until 1832 when St.Luke's Church was built. It did not have a village green neither has there been a resident squire. There were many farms so the villagers were mainly agricultural labourers until the railway gave it a focus. The original railway bypassed Sway curving north to run from Brockenhurst to Ringwood [what became known as the Castleman corkscrew]. The railway line at Sway arrived in 1888, when the station became the centre of the village.
Captain Marryat used the surrounding countryside as the setting to his "Children of the New Forest".
In World War II, one mile south of the village, there was a Emergency Landing Ground, used exclusively by Special Duty Flight for overnight stays to protect them from German attack at Christchurch. However this was of little value when the enemy attacked Sway Landing Ground.
Today Sway is a prosperous village, with shops, Hotels and general business.