BRICK KILNS at THORNEY HILL
In the 1860`s Holdenhurst was a small village, largely owned by the Cooper-Dean family. Holdenhurst became known as the "Mother of Bournemouth", it was once wild heathland covered in shoulder high gorse. When the railway arrived in 1870, it grew rapidly, as owning a property by the sea was fashionable.
The bricks for building the new villas at Bournemouth, came mainly from Thorney Hill which is on clay beds. There were five brick kilns, each of which took 32,000 bricks at one firing, needing several days to cool down afterwards. The coal required was brought by train to Holmsley Station, a two mile drive across the Forest by wagon. The finished bricks had then be transported by wagon to Bournemouth. Brick making continued until the outbreak of World War II.